The National Physical Laboratory (NPL) is the UK’s official National Measurement Institute (NMI). It established NPL North of England at the 3M BIC in 2013 to improve the quality of local manufacturing businesses in the North of England and help them compete at a global level.
NPL North of England’s state-of-the-art laboratories are well-equipped with a wide range of up-to-date inspection equipment, providing local manufacturing industries with access to measurement facilities that enhance productivity and quality, reduce waste, improve manufacturing efficiency, and support the introduction of new products and processes.
Its top of the range facilities allow precision parts to be measured under laboratory conditions, with appropriate temperature control, cleanliness, and avoidance of mechanical vibration. Access to this facility enables high-confidence inspection results on parts that are
production and/or safety critical.
The Huddersfield laboratory also supports the development of complex, hard-to-measure parts such as blades and engine components used in aerospace, medical components such as replacement joints and plastic consumables, as well as general manufactured components and assemblies.
Services available at NPL North of England include:
- measurement of components and assemblies to customers’ drawings
- development of CMM programmes for parts with complex features and tight tolerances
- supply of First Article Inspection Reports
- independent verification of complex components with very high
Tolerance features, including prismatic and difficult to specify parts
- development of novel measurement and inspection techniques
- resolution of measurement related disputes
- bespoke training on customers’ own metrology requirements, including training in best practice measurement on customers own manufactured components
- free measurement surgeries, where manufacturers can meet with measurement and inspection experts to discuss specific problems and any wider consultancy and support requirement.
If you are a manufacturing business interested in using NPL North of England’s expertise, contact Andy Morris (Laboratory Manager) on 01484 505714 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.