The 3M Buckley Innovation Centre (3M BIC) is a centre for enterprise and innovation contributing to regional economic growth and productivity, with a strong emphasis on supporting SMEs. 3M BIC is run as a subsidiary company of the University of Huddersfield.
In the development of this policy it is recognised that many of the centre’s environmental impacts are derived from the activities of its tenants and client companies, as well as the University of Huddersfield as the ultimate landlord. It is important therefore that we work in partnership with our tenants, clients and the University to engage with and support them in order to reduce our overall environmental impact.
This policy covers the operations of the 3M BIC organisation and its interactions with its tenants and clients within the centre, recognising its position as a subsidiary of the University of Huddersfield which owns and maintains the building. Where relevant, this policy will also align with the University’s Environmental and Sustainability Policy.
To reduce the overall impact of the 3M BIC on the environment, minimise its use of energy and other finite resources and develop more sustainable operating practices.
- We will engage with our tenants, clients, staff and visitors to raise awareness of all our environmental impacts. We will promote good practice at all levels and encourage participation in environmental improvement projects.
- We will build partnerships within our local community and with support organisations to reduce our environmental impacts and participate in activities to enhance sustainable development.
- We will encourage research, foster innovation and where possible implement new technologies and practices in sustainable development and resource efficiency.
Waste and pollution
- Working with the University we will implement the waste hierarchy; Prevent, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Responsibly Dispose. We will prevent our waste reaching landfill at all feasible opportunities.
- We commit to the prevention of pollution by ensuring compliance with all relevant legislation regarding emissions and discharges and undertake best practice in sustainable business management.
Use of resources
- We commit to using primary raw materials [including fossil fuels, energy and water] in an efficient manner and promote their conservation, thus helping to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and conserving resources.
- We seek to influence our suppliers and contractors both directly and via the University’s overarching Corporate, Social and Environmental Procurement Policy, requiring that sustainability and environmental issues are considered in the procurement of goods and services supplied to 3MBIC.
- We will support and encourage our staff and tenants to travel to and from 3M BIC in a sustainable manner, promoting and enabling active travel, public transport and journey-sharing over individual car use.